Ignorance is Bliss

I hate being a musician sometimes.
John and I went to macaroni grill and sat down to dessert. there was a server there that would go around singing to different tables. I was in the middle of ordering my dessert when she started. As a professionally trained vocalist, I know a good voice from a bad one. at first i didn't realized the sound was coming from a real person. I literally stopped in mid-sentence and our server was staring at me, waiting for me to order.
it wasn't just any singing- oh no. it was BAD singing, and to make things worse, she was trying to sing opera- my specialty. I have NEVER heard "o mio babbino caro" so poorly sung before. She mercilessly edited the aria to fit into 30 seconds, sang it too fast, had awful intonation, poor technique and breath support. It was downright disrespect.
I could not not focus on the task ahead, so our server politely excused herself.
I winced at every high note this poor singer desperately tried to reach. meanwhile, my poor husband is laughing at my reaction. he thought the singer was bad too- (i have turned him into a vocal snob) but not to my degree. I was struggling with staying in my seat.
She traveled throughout the restaurant singing her ballads of death, and my ears continued to bleed. her last performance of the evening was the happy birthday song to some poor fellow in the back of the restaurant. It's a good thing we sat close to the bathroom.
my conclusion: the world needs to be introduced to real culture and talent, because It would save those of us with sophisticated taste from getting offended.
My dessert was delicious by the way.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blessed 2016

Floridaversary!

pregnant ramblings.