some recipes to share

 In my quest for a svelte figure, I have tried experimenting with fresh ingredients, and completely removing red meat from my diet.  I constantly look at recipes, and watch food network all the time, but I never use the same ingredients- just the method. Gilian Mckeith is a wonder with weight loss. She is the star of the show called "you are what you eat" on BBC america. I started watching her when i was 17 or so, and I was hooked! you would be amazed at how motivated you will be after watching ONE episode. In my heightened curiosity, I found her website and stumbled across a recipe for an avocado dressing. if you need the EXACT recipe from the proprietor, HERE IS THE LINK.

http://www.gillianmckeith.info/yourbody/food/gillianmckeithrecipes/gillianmckeithrecipe04_avacadocreamsauce.php

 if not, here is my "version".

ingredients:

2 ripe, if not over-ripe avocados
3 squeezes of lemon
5 T extra virgin olive oil
2T to1/4 C water (eyeball it)
1to 1/2 t garlic salt (to taste)
black pepper

Method:

cut avocados in half, remove the pit, and run a blunt knife through each half, creating small cubes.
take a large spoon and scoop the flesh from the skin, into a blender. add all other ingredients and blend

this is an AWESOME topping for cooked fish, a spread for hamburgers, and a dressing for your salad.


the all -vegetarian hamburgers I was raving about on my facebook profile  got a thumbs up from my husband who is a carnivore to the core.

once again, I got this concept from Gillian Mckeith, but it's not on her website. I believe the "recipe"  came from her book called the food bible. I never follow the recipe, only the method, so here is how I did the burgers.

Ingredients:

1 cup of cooked black beans. (if you used canned, make sure you rinse them)
1/2 cup of wheat germ
2 to 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
garlic salt, or your favorite seasoning (you could even use your favorite BURGER seasoning, my family uses essence of Emeril for everything)

method:
pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
Drain beans, add to a large bowl and mash with a potato masher (or fork)
using your hands also works too.
 If needed, add wheat germ a little at a time, and continue mashing until the beans have a dough-like consistency.
form into patties. make them as thin as possible. they are VERY filling, and less prone to falling apart.

spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray, place the patties on sheet and spoon a touch of olive oil onto each pattie. bake for 20 minutes or until top  of pattie is crispy. the center of each burger will still be very moist- it's OK. sprinkle a little cheese on each pattie of desired, and melt in the oven.

dress them however you like.
I like to dress mine with fresh tomato and slices of avocado, lettuce, and a little bit of cheese. i also make a lemon mayo to go with it- top notch. it's just mayo, sour cream and lemon juice, with salt and pepper. yummy!  Instead of heavy hamburger buns, I toasted oroweat's whole grain sandwich thins- those are pretty awesome. they look like mini-pitas in the bakery section of the grocery store.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blessed 2016

Floridaversary!

pregnant ramblings.