December 30, 2011

Resolution

Celebrating a new year has become increasingly more sentimental to me as I have gotten older. I always make a list of resolutions for the new year. The list is really big this year. It went something like this:

Make the dean's list this semester
Remember birthdays
send handwritten letters
take more pictures
get healthy- there are several things that I'm not doing that I really SHOULD be. like drinking more fluids. and exercising.
Have immaculate hygiene (gross, I know. long story short, I am not so great with taking care of myself. I've never been taught how. I adjusted things according to what I was teased about.)
Hug people
say" I love you" more often
be positive
smile more
watch less netflix
keep up all my journals (one for me, one for Pax)
study my scriptures daily.
pray daily
attend the temple once a month
Breastfeed Pax for the rest of the year.
Magnify my calling
read the ensign

And so on.

Needless to say, I have quite a bit that I need to improve on. Some that are really important, and others, not so much. It's all quite overwhelming. Most of these things are repeats. They have been on my resolution list since I can remember, and I am certain that I have failed at every single one of them within the first 2 weeks of the new year. I have issues with consistency, as well as hygiene. Go me.

I promise, this was not intended to be a poor me post; although I'm really feeling it now.
I wanted to say that I am changing what a resolution means to me. Sure, all the things listed above are awesome goals to accomplish, but most of them are far fetched enough to be considered life goals. My list needs some consolidating. Then I need to think hard, and pick at least 4 attainable resolutions. One for my mind, one for my body, one for my spirit, and one for others. Let's re-visit the list, shall we?

 So I guess, the things that relate to each other or "go together" will be in the same color


Make the dean's list this semester- this would be cool, but I'm not going to beat myself up about it if It doesn't happen.
Remember birthdays- yeah.
send handwritten letters- I doubt this will happen for anyone but John.
take more pictures


get healthy- there are several things that I'm not doing that I really SHOULD be. like drinking more fluids. and exercising.
Have immaculate hygiene (gross, I know. long story short, I am not so great with taking care of myself. I've never been taught how. I adjusted things according to what I was teased about.) These can be categorized into "taking better care of myself"
Hug people
say" I love you" more often
be positive
smile more
watch less netflix- yeah, probably not. We love sesame street too much.
keep up all my journals (one for me, one for Pax)
study my scriptures daily.
pray daily 
attend the temple once a month
Breastfeed Pax for the rest of the year. - really goes without saying, so It's not really a resolution.
Magnify my calling (this fits into 2 categories)
read the ensign


Looks like I have 5 categories as the list is now.

Purple:  Become closer to my Heavenly Father
Blue: Keep a personal history 
Red: Be little miss F*&%$#! sunshine (for a lack of a better expression) This is going to be hard work. I need to remember all the things I do RIGHT.Not that I'm always doom and gloom, but I'm not very "huggy" and I have yet to like my own smile. I think I need invisalign.... 
Poop Green: Take better care of Meeself. Be a woman. Do my hair. No sugar. More water. 


One thing I have thought a lot about is making a big deal out of birthdays. Birthdays were rarely exciting in my home growing up. This would include making a handmade gift for members of my family (and some of my extended family) and calling them to wish them a happy birthday, Writing happy birthday messages on facebook, and making gifts for my mother in law on Joh'ns birthday, and gift for my mom on my birthday (as well as getting myself a little somethin' somethin' on paxton's birthday). There is no crappier feeling than feeling like your birthday is just another day. It's really not.


Check out my pinterest pinboard "resolution" as I try to keep my goals for this year.

What are some of you resolutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment